This post will be updated daily through Oct. 11.
One of my best friends in the world, Richard Barron, issued a different kind of 30-day challenge on his blog recently, Behold a Giant Muh. Richard lives in Oklahoma, where they know how to play REAL football (#BoomerSooner).
He and I were at the University of Oklahoma at the same time.
If you recall, I recently visited Richard and we had a blast on his gun range. Read about that here. On his post he took the ice bucket challenge to task and pushed us to think a little differently about it.
Then, ironically, he issued his challenge.
Here is the challenge:
I accepted his challenge for several reasons. It will be a good kick start to focusing on healthy eating. Although, as Richard aptly points out, just because you are eating vegan, does not mean you are eating healthy. The good news is that both of us know that and will surely make mostly good diet decisions.
To help me with accountability, I think I am going to blog my consumption each day. Yes, I know that it terribly boring for readers, but frankly, I am not doing if for the readers. I am doing it for me. Yes I am selfish that way!
My Consumption Log
- Sep 11 Veggie Fried Rice with extra broccoli and some fake iced tea.
- Sep 12 Oatmeal, raisins, a little brown sugar. Garlic hummus. pretzels, banana, veggie fried rice, edamame.
- Sep 13 Banana, apple, 2 veggie chik patties, chips, soy milk, cereal, sauteed mushrooms and onions in a garlic red wine sauce, broccoli, angel hair pasta, banana, peanut butter, pretzels, garlic hummus.
- Sep 14 Oatmeal with diced Gala apples, cinnamon and slivered almonds. Home made pinto beans and jasmine rice with salsa.
- Sep 15 Plain bagel with grape jelly, salad, potatoes, corn, fried okra. Some homemade frijoles made from the beans from yesterday, rice, salsa, corn tortillas.
- Sep 16 Oatmeal with almond milk, rice, black beans, french fries, a baked potato with some of those leftover delicious sauteed mushrooms, some nuts.
- Sep 17 Bagel, jelly, 2 bananas, potato, salad, corn, cabbage, mushrooms, hibachi veggies, rice, salad
- Sep 18 Veggie burger, fries, fresh fruit mix, edamame, peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Sep 19 Oatmeal with almond milk, pretzels hummus, edamame, salad with potato, nuts
- Sep 20 Cereal with almond milk, veggie hotdog, cabbage, baked beans, chik pattie, veggie burger, rice.
- Sep 21 Pasta, sauce, green beans, baked fries, veggie burger, small quantity of chips, bagel
- Sep 22 Soft pretzel, salad, pizza crust, salad, tomatoes, zuchini and squash, carrots, green beans, french fries
- Sep 23 Oatmeal, bagel, oj, salad, veggie burger, onion rings, fries, rice, black bean, chips, salsa, broccoli, carrots, squash, mushrooms, onions
- Sep 24 Bagel, oatmeal, banana, nuts, fried rice, pretzels, cereal with almond milk
- Sep 25 Banana, peanut butter, bagel, grapes, homemade veggie soup, toast, humus, pretzels
- Sep 26 Hashbrowns, oatmeal, salad, rice with legumes, vegetable soup
- Sep 27 Oatmeal, apple, vegetable soup, tortilla chips, humus bagel with tomato
- Sep 28 Vegetable soup, cucumber and tomato salad, cereal, chips and humus
- Sep 29 14 peanuts, salad, green beans, carrots, potatoes, peppers
- Sep 30 Cereal, pasta with sauce, salad, cantaloupe, pretzels with humus
- Oct 1 Cucumbers, bean and rice burrito, asparagus, fries, salad, broccoli, more asparagus, pretzel bread, potato
- Oct 2 Fruit, bread with peanut butter, salad, fruit, pasta, cukes, red peppers, kalamata olives, salad again, pasta with marinara, asparagus
- Oct 3 Fruit, oatmeal, bagel, salad, pasta, cucumbers, pretzels
- Oct 4 Edamame, cukes and toms, baked potato, cabbage, corn on da cob.
- Oct 5 Bread with peanut butter, homemade pintos and rice, cabbage, wheat bread.
- Oct 6 Veggie fried rice, salad, more rice
- Oct 7 Potatoes, salad
- Oct 8 Bagel with tomato, salad, chik patty, beans, chips\
- Oct 9 Cereal with almond milk, peanut butter sandwich, pasta with beans, potato, salad
- Oct 10 Cereal, cucumbers, rice, beans, green beans